Monday, November 24, 2008

10 Promises To My Dog

Aww, it was one of the most touching stories I've ever perceived (but I always say that whenever a movie activates my tear gland). This morning, Sylvea texted me - telling me that she's bored and asking me if I want to watch movie with her. So, I pun very excited and aswered "Okie dokie". I personally wanted to watch High School Musical 3. But it's on screen only at 4 pm (so 'potong steam'). Hence, we decided to watch "10 Promises to My Dog". But to be precise, I was the one who called the shot. Though I was afraid I might make the wrong choice.


However, it didn't disappoint. Unless you are a hard-core, no-nonsense fan of action blockbusters like 007, you would definitely like this one. It's a touching story revolving around a girl named Akari (14 years old), who owns a dog, called 'Socks' (because he has a lighter tone of fur on one of her paws which makes it look like it's wearing socks), not long before her mother died. Actually her mother was the one who took the puppy into the house without her daughter's knowledge. She hopes that the dog would substitute her in Akari's heart and she makes Akari to promise her dog 10 promises, hence the title. Her mother died. As she grows up, she starts to abandon Socks. She has a boyfriend and friends and no longer cares about the dog. In the end, the dog dies at the age of ten. And gosh, she cries like nobody's business when she is reminded of the 10 promises. Sylvea and me sobbed quietly but heavily. We exited the cinema with a pair of red, teary eyes (How embarrassing was that?!). Seriously, I think I started to cry from the middle part of the movie till the end. I think Sylvea cried earlier that me.


I reckon the most poignant dialogue was where her mother said to her daughter, "You have friends and family, but I [Socks] have only you". That just reminds me of my Fye. It made me feel like giving my bunny a big, tight hug right away. But, I guess there's something which I dislike about the film - The way the young Akari calls "Socks!". Throughout that first half of the movie, she has called out countless number of "Socks!", that it became cloying. It's uhm... pretty irritating with the repetitions and her voice too. It's not all teary and moody though, it has some funny bits here and there too - the most hilarious of all was when Akari's best friend's dog is stuck in a box and when he gets out of it, his huge fluffy hair is styled after the box's shape. Can you imagine, a dog with a square face? Lol... Overall, I like it a lot - I also like the fact that it's a story, reciting the entire life-span of a dog (10 years). It doesn't just skip through the years like "5 years later" and "the end". It envisages each stage with details, but without any complexities. It's very straightforward without acquiring the viewers to take time to digest the story. This is what I fancy the most about this movie.


Gosh, now I'm looking like I'm giving a movie review or something.



Oh, ya! - Have I mentioned to you that Akari's boyfriend looks old for his on-screen age?

No comments: