Monday, December 8, 2008

No Matter What

We had this sort of family gathering yesterday. In fact, we have this sort of gathering like every week that it no longer feels like a gathering. It feels more like a habit now. Anyway, the family gathering was held with a cause - to celebrate the 1st anniversary of my nephew's existence into this brutal realm. Yes, at such a tender age, he has already made a fortune out of his birthday. My father gave him RM 200 and I heard that all the other uncles and aunties bestowed him a whopping amount of cash. (Grumbling) Hey, I didn't receive such a fortune during my birthday! In fact, nobody had realised that it was my birthday! JUSTICE???!!!!

Jealousy aside, yesterday was a bitter-sweet experience to me, I guess. The entire occasion was occupied with loud clamour and deafening noise. I wasn't comfortable at all in the restaurant. My aunt, as always was screaming and yelling across the table for no particular reason. I don't get her, really. At that point of time, I was so eager to seal her wide lips with sticky tape or even to stuff her large mouth with a bun. She was lucky because I couldn't find those items in the restaurant. She was bloody annoying, man. I have never enjoyed loud noises. I know, I know, you must be cursing me by now. But, seriously, I really can't stand high volume voices. For the record, I get annoyed easily. I know, it's difficult to please me. Well, I'm renown for that, you know?

But, things started to change as time goes by. All of us started blurting out lame jokes and stale stories. My aunts and uncles started teasing each other and we, the next generation started chuckling at their seemingly ridiculous acts. I guess, we are truly carrying the same blood after all. We tend to take them for granted. But, they are the ones who treat us with sincerity in the end. There may be a list of things we loathe about our family, but we cannot deny the fact that we are related to one another. I started to feel very warm towards the end of the celebration and I realise that this gathering is worth it.

I admire my father a lot. Besides being a responsible and caring husband and father, he is also a very good uncle (in my opinion lah). He never jerks back when my cousins are caught in troubles. I have this cousin who is adored by all my aunts and uncles, including my father. However, she has offended all of them lately. It was because there was once where she was offered a job in Singapore and every single member of the Teh was very happy for her and even gave her some money to start a brand new life abroad. Some of my uncles and aunts weren't in a stable financial condition. Still, they voluntarily handed her money. She didn't elaborate on what happened in Singapore but she returned after a day or two there. She couldn't get the job but she spent my aunts and uncles' hard-earned money on luxurious stuffs during her stay in Singapore. All of them went ballistic and now, no longer care about her. My father was mad too but, has quickly forgotten about this incident and still constantly invites her over to our house for dinner or gathering. My father has always believed in the saying that "blood is thicker that water". He even guarantees her that all her aunts and uncles will not scold her and will not mention about the past anymore. Awww... yeah, I'm a very proud daughter of my father. Though I admire my papa, I don't think I would forgive her for the rest of my life if I were my father or one of my aunts. Hey, it's the result of my blood-shedding and sweat-sweeping moments, ok? But, since it's not my money, I am sitting on the fence and care less about this issue. I still greet her and talk to her as usual. Plus, she remembers my birthday every year and posts various birthday gifts to me. Why should I go against her, anyway?

Hence, the moral of the story is that family will never change no matter what. (Gee, sounds so lame lah.)

No comments: